Happy Release Day to The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance! Delilah S. Dawson, author of Wicked as They Come, is celebrating the release of her new novella in the Blud series and chatting with us today! Stick around…there’s also a giveaway 😉
Well, characters. Frannie and Thom of THE PECULIAR PETS OF MISS PLEASANCE go together like fuzzy kittens and lavender cake. Or like Thor in a kilt and… me. Here’s why.
Thom, the hero:
- He’s pretty much Thor in a kilt.
- Thor. In a kilt. With a Scottish accent. Meow.
- Thom’s a firefighter in a steampunk version of London peopled with scary blood drinkers and magic-using daimons. That means he lives in a firehouse with a bunch of dudes, eats crummy food, and runs around in a heavy suit at all hours of the day and night to help save people, many of whom are dangerous. And believe me, the food in his firehouse is really bad.
- The first time he meets Frannie, he almost steps on a kitten during a fire in her pet shop. But he doesn’t step on the kitten.
- Despite his tragic past, Thom has hope and a big heart and is kind and gentle with Frannie, even though she’s skittish and cries the first time he kisses her. Eventually, she has a much different reaction to his kissing… and licking… and… well, you’ll just have to read it.
- Frannie combines a tender heart, a sharp tongue, and a hell of a backbone.
- She knows how to deal with animals and wayward men: with a firm hand and unconditional kindness.
- She’s not afraid of snakes, even venomous ones.
- Her favorite food is cake with lavender icing.
- Even though she guards her secrets and her heart carefully, she lets Thom past her defenses and gives him her trust. He, in return, gives her cake. And this really steamy night in her favorite garden.
Thanks so much for letting me stop by! I hope you’ll check out my e-novella, THE PECULIAR PETS OF MISS PLEASANCE, out April 1 with Pocket. The next full-length book in my Blud series, WICKED AS SHE WANTS, is out April 30. You can also find me on Twitter and on my blog. And if you’re into artisan perfumes, you can find scents based on my characters at Villainess Soaps.
series for Pocket, including WICKED AS THEY COME and an e-novella, THE MYSTERIOUS MADAM MORPHO. The second book in the series, WICKED AS SHE WANTS, and a second novella, THE PECULIAR PETS OF MISS PLEASANCE, will be out in spring 2013, and her first YA, a creepy paranormal called SERVANTS OF THE STORM will be available in spring 2014. RT Book Reviews has called her “a wonderfully fresh new voice!”
In a world ruled by blood, live pets are rare and kindness rarer still. London pet shop owner Frannie Pleasance has a mysterious way with animals and keeps her charges (and heart) locked in a veritable Eden. She thinks Casper Sterling is just another stray…until she takes in the troublesome lodger (and unwelcome suitor) and becomes the victim of a series of strange and dangerous occurrences.
When an unexplained fire threatens to destroy Frannie’s carefully guarded world, firefighter Thom Maccallan is there to extinguish the blaze and help gather the lost creatures. The heat between Frannie and Thom begins to burn, but someone’s still after the lady. Could it be Casper himself, or is Frannie’s new lodger just another victim of fate? Will they be able to figure out who’s pursuing Frannie—and stop them—before she loses everything?